Sunday, February 8, 2009

Virtual Martini with Rennie Friedlander

Let's Have a Virtual Martini with floral designer Rennie Friedlander
Business Name:  Simply Beautiful Flowers


Name:  Rennie Friedlander
Email:  renniefriedlander@msn.com
How did you get started in the business?
For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to work in a flower shop -  I graduated with my degree in fine art and worked a few years for a few of my favorite retail and wholesale florists. I also spent a few years in public relations and advertising.  Simply Beautiful Flowers began in 1992 - and the shop opened in 1995.

How would you describe your style?
I would describe our style as natural, gentle, soft and feminine.  We are capable of achieving any style - but if given free rein - we go for a luxurious abundance of extraordinary flowers!  We like to arrange flowers in a way that their unique beauty can be appreciated - relaxed and unmanipulated.

What has been the highlight of your career to date?
Highlight of my career is the joy of working so closely with so many lovely people.

How many people are part of your company? 
Our company is a family affair - my husband, Brian, is also my business partner, my mother and father are both accomplished artists and frequently take part, a full-time designer and store manager Jan Baker, full-time floral processor, Thelma Smith and the area's absolute best and most accomplished freelance help for our wedding and event work

Give us your favorite wedding or event planning tip.
Favorite wedding planning tip - invest in a wedding planner - create a timeline - and once the wedding begins - no more stressing over anything -- just enjoy all your friends and family
What is your favorite part of the wedding day?
"I do" and the kiss

What is the best compliment you've ever received?
Best compliment is repeat business and referrals

When you travel, what is the one thing you cannot live without?
I need my Visa, cell phone, comfortable shoes and a positive outlook

If you weren't a floral designer, what would you be?
I'd still be a floral enthusiast - so maybe a teacher, photographer, painter, author or speaker on flowers and nature's gifts of beauty
Share a fun fact about your home life.
We live across the street from the shop and get to bring our sweet dog, "Archie" to work.
What is the last thing you purchased?
Flowers for tomorrow's work.
Tell us some of your favorite places to shop both local and out-of-town.
My heart beats fastest on 28th Street in NY (the flower district) and locally,  I love my floral wholesalers, Wegman's and Nordstrom.

Share some favorite pictures from 2008.
images from Philip Weber for Arthur Remanjon 

images from DavidMichele.com 

0 comments: